Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 41 - Twisted

I saw Oliver Twist today. It was called our "cultural" intern experience. It was a great musical and it was probably one of my favorite theater experiences (in part because our group was hilarious and slightly unruly). But I enjoyed the work more than usual, to be honest musicals aren't my usual cup of tea. I won't try to explain too much because i know a ton of people who have a great affection for them, but pretty much singing in a monotone voice for an extended period of time about the same subject makes me bored and lose track of the plot. I think this is more of a commentary on my attention skills. Or my somewhat tone-deafness. Either way, this one was an exception and it made me want to pick up a Dickens novel and what the Oliver Twist with Elijah Wood in it :)

I enjoyed the cultural aspect, but don't think its the kind of unique OKC experience I'm craving. I'm sure Oliver has been in Denver. My goal for my study abroad was to understand Oklahoma for Oklahoma. I have a great sense of place in Gunnison, I feel like I help the community and feel at home outside. I strive to find some version of that here.

Culture is comprised of a lot of aspects and I received more glimpses of them on the way to and from the theater than at the theater itself. Its the way people treat one another a little more openly here, like they are searching for a little more interaction in their lives, because they know something positive can make their day better. Its the way the traffic isn't as bad. Its the way people talk about the weather. I want to gather all of these things and appreciate them for what Oklahoma is, because this is a place I never thought I'd be and I want to appreciate it for what I've found (which I admit I will be biased, but I'm doing my best to try to see both sides -- i've only given up on appreciating the summer OKC weather, sorry, but its ridiculously hot and I am not a fan)

But I love the thunder (the sound and the basketball team ;)) and the greenness and can't help but laugh when people ask me to slow down because I talk too fast. I'm putting the puzzle pieces together and must admit these are exceptional people.


Elijah Wood as The Artful Dodger in a 1997 version of Oliver Twist. He could pick-pocket from me anytime ;)

No comments: