Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 32 - Business Travels (in Italy! oh wait.. I mean Wyoming)

I’ve been avoiding blogging because all I really wanted to blog about was my business trip! And I had to keep it a secret from my lovely sister.

I knew the 2nd week of work I’d be going on a business trip, I wasn’t really sure when I was going to  go though. We wanted me to go sooner rather than later so I can get an idea of field work and the people I am emailing. So when looking at date I suggested one of the earlier ones and when planning it looked like I’d be flying to Denver. My boss suggested I could take a weekend with my family! Clearly I had to take up the offer and when given the choice of weekend I asked if I could take this past weekend as it was my sister’s bachelorette party weekend! After some seriously bizarre travel planning (I almost had to fly from OKC to Dallas to Tennessee to Arkansas, a 12 hours flight travel time for a 3 hour drive!)  I managed to work out a plan where I flew to Denver Friday to surprise my sister.

I showed up at her doorstep and she freaked out! Double-take and everything! Super hilarious and awesome. She had no idea. Which was even more hilarious because pretty much everyone else in the family knew. Her fiancé. My parents. My cousins. The other bridesmaids. Epic.

Super stoked I got to visit home! Made me realize how much I love Colorado! When I arrived at DIA and was walking around the airport and saw my beloved mountains I squealed outloud and said, “Eeee! Mountains.” Unfortunately I was traveling alone, so this probably looked more crazy than nostalgic.

On a side note I survived my first trip flying and traveling alone! I’m pretty proud of myself, not going to lie. I know I’m a little old for my first solo flight, but I’m pretty directionally challenged and didn’t get lost one on the way to the airport or in either of the airports. I need to give myself more time for my plane travels later this week but it worked out and I got on the flight and was shocked when it landed so quickly. How can a 11 hour drive be less than an hour flight? Oh technology! You amaze me.

Now however, I am no longer in Denver.
I am in Lusk, Wyoming!

Which is makes Gunnison (of ~6,000 residents) look huge. There are apparently 2 restaurants. Fancy stuff.
I’m looking at this like my study abroad near-by visits. You know how people who study abroad in England would go visit Italy? Yeah. I’m visiting Wyoming from Oklahoma. Take that! This is my study abroad trip and I’m in my Italy. Maybe I should have picked some place less famous to nickname Lusk, but I’m sticking to it. I have to take pictures of my field study for work so I will put up pictures when I get back to OKC. Don’t worry there will also be pictures from Arkansas. I think I will dove Arkansas my Germany. Another place I would love to go, of which it is filling my study abroad void.

Being in Lusk will be interesting. I get to go to the Courthouse tomorrow (I was slightly surprised they even had one of their own) and see what field work is like. I don’t have a car here (too young to rent
L) but its small so I don’t think this will be a big deal. It reminds me a little of Gunnison home J


I saw this sign today! (attempt to restrain your extreme jealousy)


This shirt represents the state of WY and where Lusk is, right next to the border of Nebraska and South Dakota. If I had a car I'd drive to South Dakota, just to say I did.

This is the "little town with big possibilities" let's see what it brings me!

No comments: