Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 21 - Back Track!

I volunteered last week with a group called Miracle League! The group was started by a lady named Margo who has an autistic son who wasn't allowed to play baseball when he was a kid. She didn't think that was fair, so she started a league for handicapped individuals so they could play baseball as well. She organizes the league and gets volunteers to help with the games.

Our first game was with the kids, who were adorable, but probably not as excited to be there as the older group. I helped a kid named Jack, who was very insistent that he could hit the ball himself. And he could, and did. He was the only kid in the group to get a homerun! I felt pretty proud :). He was pretty silly and insisted on practicing his swing a ton and confided he didn't like tennis. I managed to avoid a major tickle fight, but my friend Cameron and him had a pretty serious battle. I met his family after the game and they seemed really grateful for the opportunity to watch him play. It was a really cool experience and it made me feel really lucky to be where I am and lucky to be able to help. Not going to lie, those kids and adults were far better at baseball than I will ever be. When helping in the outfield I had to go retrieve the ball three times, once it took three throws for me to get it over the fence. I'll have to stick with other sports and leave the baseball to them.

The kids all received trophies since it was their last game of the season (this is the trophy ceremony)

Jamie (a geology intern) and me. I caught a ride with him and his roommates

 John and Cameron, the other two interns I came with. They are in the field, catching all those homeruns!
 Oklahoma has beautiful sunsets, here is a picture of a sunset from the park in Edmond, OK
The field was super soft and bouncy to avoid injuries -- my kind of set up!

Later that night I also visited a friend in Yukon, OK, who was driving through from visiting her sister in Louisiana. I was hungry after baseball so we went to Braum's. Yum! Cookie Dough Malt!



I got back to the apartment super late because of my visit. But was able to go to sleep by 12:00am for work the next day, totally worth it. Super happy to see a familiar face!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So cool! Look at you growin up and makin us all proud....

Christian VdW said...

LOVE Braum's and LOVE you! So excited that you set up a blog so that I can stalk you, er, live your summer adventures vicariously :) have fun!

bgoose said...

Eee! so glad you love Braums too! (probably not great for my health to live so close to it, but I like it way more than DQ). Now if you only had more places I could stalk you/live through you vicariously! Love you!

And thanks for the growth support B :D