Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 26 - So tell me about your dreams

I've been reading about the concept of "unschooling" when people take their children out of school to develop their beliefs and passions outside of a routine and standard curriculum. I can't say I agree with the concept completely, especially for myself. I loved school as a kid and feel like it gave me the opportunities to meet great people and explore my passions through the opportunities and people it presented. At the same time, I feel like it's what you choose to do with your free time that really helps you figure out who you are as a person. You can't always have your job as your passion, and I feel like that may actually turn your passion into something less desirable.

So am I following my dreams here?

As a kid I always wanted to own land. To the extent when I would read the classifieds for open land in the newspaper on Sunday mornings (I was such a cool 4th grader). I loved the concept of exploring and having places to roam. I cannot remember quite when I started reading National Geographic online and in hard-copy (maybe 8th grade onward) but it made me want to learn about the mysteries of the world and see the places few people see.

Hey, not that many people go touristy on Oklahoma! I think its a start. Now I just really need to get outside! I really want to see some museums too, and it is incredibly hot out, but I would love to bring some of my childhood exploration ambitions to light again.

I want to use more of my creativity and employ the parts of my mind that aren't engaged at work!
Even if i can't achieve many of my impractical ideas, just thinking about them will surely be a start.

My goals this week:
- Spend less time at the apartment, not that I've been here a ton, but I need to get out even on those days were work is tiring me out. I think being outside of this place will inspire me!
- Don't wait for other people to do the things I want to do. I've always struggled to adventure alone (and it's probably no advisable in a crime-prone city) but small adventures and small/near places sounds achievable. -- Write some snail mail. I have some friends who are simply wonderful and deserve some handwritten letters :)
- Plant my miniature plant!
*here's a picture from finals week in Gunnison, i think the spring icicles are gorgeous!*

No comments: