Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 33 A Presidential Visit

When I learned I was going to Lusk, WY and when I looked at a map and realized it was RIGHT next to the NE and SD border, I thought how cool it would be to be able to cross the border and see SD (sorry Nebraska, I see you a lot). I didn't think I would have a chance, but low and behold, two the crew guys hadn't been there either and were stoked to take me and see SD and, more importantly, Mt. Rushmore! We left after work, probably around 5:00 for a 2 hour drive to Mt. Rushmore! It was a gorgeous drive (well the part of it I saw... I slept for an hour or so of it). We went out to dinner at a Buffalo Steak House and as we left to drive to Rushmore, it started to rain. When we arrived at Mt. Rushmore it was pooring. We almost decided not to get out of the car, but I figured when we the next time I would be anywhere near SD. So we got out anyway.
Here is the picture with the rain, it was super dark out with a ton of lightning. We were hoping for a picture with a lightnight bolt, but no such luck.

This is me in one of the crew guy's jacket. I was brilliant and didn't bring a jacket at all for my whole week long trip. I suppose I'm too used to 100 degree OKC. The rain made the presidents look pretty cool though, Steven took some better pictures and was able to keep some close ups of their faces, it looks like George Washington was crying, and Jefferson appeared to have quite the runny nose. Pretty funny.
This is Steven, Me, and Treavor (pronounced like Trevor, but said evily like a mad scientist, I had a really hard time pronouncing it without sounding like I had a silly accent). We had to go inside because the lightning. It had been raining on us pretty hard.
The rain stopped though and it ended up being a really pretty sunset
Here's a picture with the flags
And then a double rainbow appeared! You can just barely see the second rainbow in the top right corner. but the bright one in the middle actually had like 3 or 4 rainbows connected to it. It was super cool!
I wish I could have stayed longer and see the light show they apparently have at night most days, but we left around 8:45 and it was a scary drive back. We almost hit two dear, a cow, and an outrageously large tumbleweed. We got back at 11:00 and we all appeared pretty unfunctional the next day. Super nice of them to take me there though!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh man, one of my friends at work called in about a month ago to say he wouldn't be in because he was going to Mt. Rushmore for lunch...just had to tell someone about that...seemed like the right time