Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 2

Oklahoma City Day 2
Moved into the new apartment today! It feels a little bit like a hotel, and is way too nice for a student used to living in dorms and moving back into the dorms. I think I will need to simply get past that fact and enjoy it. Can’t wait to use the two pools and fitness centers!
The only sad part is I don’t get roommates until Wednesday! (it’s Friday) Not cool. Living alone has never particularly appealed to me and has been hard as a Residence Life staff member. Even if it’s only a few days, it doesn’t help that I’m in a town where I can count the number of people I know on one hand.
It’ll be fine though, and probably good for me, I need to explore the city a little more anyway.
Although I did manage to accomplish some of this, I think I can even find work! (good as I start work Monday ;))
I do have a classmate from work doing the same internship and living in my complex that I visited last night. His girlfriend and he have a place together, which is nice. Hopefully they don’t mind me visiting the next few days! He also started work Monday and was nice enough to give me some insight into work, he’s in a land intern, but apparently I’m in a different division than him. Talking about it all made me excited for Monday!
This city is definitely more of a city than I’m used it, it’s definitely the closest I’ve never lived to a city downtown (minus downtown Gunnison, sorry Gunnison but you will never be a city – and I like you that way). Having to be in a car to get places is weirding me out. Luckily work is only a 5-minute drive, but other things (target, grocery) are about 15; which sounds like nothing until I remember that it was a 15 minute walk to any store In Gunnison. I’m not a huge fan of car time, so this will be an adjustment.
Dilemma’s from the day:
-          realizing I don’t have my necessary work documents (social security car, passport, etc) for Monday, now I’m having them over-nighted. Super inconvenient for my family.
-          Moving is way too expensive. Enough said.
-          Not getting roommates sooner
Goals for tomorrow:
-          Celebrate my dad’s birthday!
-          Celebrate my good grades (all A’s!)
-          Explore the Lincoln more
-          Find fed-exed documents
-          Finish moving in
-          Continue to get my brain around this town
-          Scout for Oklahoma Adventures!

Things I love about my apartment:
-          Kitchen! I haven’t had one in 9 months and get this: it has a dish-washer. This is positively thrilling to me.
-          Washer and Driver. Within 20 feet walking distance from my room. What?! Now it is no longer a workout to do laundry. (I used to have to walk from the third floor to the basement freshmen year of college and with the amount of laundry I irresponsibly try to do at once, it was a legit workout). Maybe I’ll be more on top of it?
-          Queen size bed with a new teal bed-set.
-          “Luxury” Furniture. The furniture seems so modern and comfy, once again spoiling a college.
-          A porch. Not even sure what to do with it. But it’s cool!
-          Roommates. Not that I have them yet, but I like the concept J

No comments: