Saturday, May 26, 2012

Round 2 Day 14 Blackberries, NuDraper, Adventures Continued




Last weekend, aside from a decent amount of time spent in the kitchen, we did manage to get outside.

This is probably about the only time I will get to spend outside in Oklahoma, because after May and hopefully some time in June, it is far too hot to venture outside.

So we took my Oklahoma Hiking Trails book (thanks for the great Christmas present Rach) and picked a close by trail called the NuDraper Trail system, which was set up for mountain bikers.

It was raining all morning and relatively unhappy outside. We definitely got super lost trying to find it. Mainly do to my driving and forgetting the book. I had to stop by a bait shop and ask for help near Stanley Draper Lake. Luckily, it was worth the wait. The rain had mostly let up by the time we got there and during the middle of the hike it stopped completely. We were pretty much the only people out on the trail system, it was ideal.


If not a little muddy.
My shoes were the only thing that was unhappy.

It only got better though, when Brandon noticed some berries. I thought they looked just like the raspberries I used to grow when I was a gardener. Except they were blackberries! (yes I took me a while, I've never really eaten blackberries much). But the trail was COVERED in them, and when we realized they were perfectly ripe, we had the perfect local, pesticide free, snack.





They tasted great and neither of us got sick. And, hopefully as you can see by the pictures, it was beautiful, not what you typically picture for Oklahoma. It was very pleasant with lots of undergrowth, so different from the Colorado forests I'm used to.


Definitely one of my favorite weekends I've had in a long, lone time.





No comments: