Saturday, May 12, 2012

Round 2 Day 1

My dad at the Nature Center
Today is my first full day back in OKC, bittersweet to be leaving Colorado, but pretty exciting to be back.

I finished unpacking with the help of my wonderful traveling companion/Dad. He drove me down to Oklahoma and helped me with everything, I know a lot of people think their father is the best -- but I bet to differ. We went out to dinner to celebrate his birthday tomorrow and got all of the things I needed around town. The silly thing is he remembers this town better than I do. He's been here three time and can remember how to get nearly everywhere and I can hardly remember the right turn to work. Oh well, directions have never been my gift.

We went to the Martin Nature Conservation Center, 144 acres of nature conservation about 15 minutes from where I live (nearly at the heart of town). We tried to go last year, but it was closed that day and my dad remembered I'd wanted to see it (once again, he is awesome).

It was a very forested area, with lots of "native" Oklahoma wildlife.

Park of the river, which had HUGE fish. I suppose that's what happens when they don't let you fish.

It included a lake and a river, which my dad was convined would make for good canoeing. Personally, I was a little scared after see a ton of turtles and what we estimated to be 40 pound carp.

We also ran into four deer, which we only saw because they moved. We had one literally 20 feet from us and did not see it. Sneaky white tailed deer.
White tailed deer


There were also many education signs, we skipped most of them but read one funny one about "The Eastern Red Bat" it was about how they hide during the day and how you won't be able to find them because they disguise themselves as dead leaves. After reading that we were skeptical of every dead leaf... they all looked rather bat like.
See the bats?

Anyway, it was a great day, I'm glad I finally got to go. Afterwards we had a quick lunch and I took my dad to the airport, never very fun to see family leave.

By the river, very tempted to try and cross it, but alas... they have lots of rules.
Now it's just me and the roommates, but dang it is so much nicer to have roommates already. Last year I arrived and had to wait over a week living alone without knowing anyone in the state.

Anyway, thanks for the beautiful welcome back Oklahoma! Can't wait to see more of you and figure out what you have to offer. This should be a great second "study abroad" I'll make sure to go out of my way to see what's out there...



No comments: