Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Final Countdown!

I'll be back in CO in just a few short days! I have nearly finished my internship (hopefully to a success! I should know if I will get a second internship in September). And I feel like I have mostly successful in my OKC goals for myself.
 I saw lots of places! Some of them my myself, mostly with groups, and many of them surprisingly gorgeous! This picture above is of Lake Arcadia, where I went last Sunday!
 I attended a Styx and Yes concert last weekend. Got a good old dose of culture! And had the company of my intern-mural company Corey.
 Who knew other interns might have a soft spot for classic rocks and 80's pop too?
 I went putt putt golfing with the Western group! And lost, but not too epically. I was only one behind Alex!
 This is Spencer and his lovely girlfriend Bryn, I made sure to take these before the immense sweating of being outside in the 105 degree heat began... approximately 2 minutes after being outside.
 Nothing like sideways me looking confused at a Lake!
 Smiling. It was evening and not too hot outside! Score!
 Broker Steve! This is one of the Broker's a worked with in Lusk! Who I caught up with when he visited OKC.
Beautiful Sunset. There is something different about the sunsets here. I don't know what it is. But they are still pretty... just different. I still some pictures to share from these experience and will have to remember to make a conclusion post.

But I can start that now! with the end so near.

I feel like one of my biggest accomplishments here has been achieving a greater level of independence. There is nothing like a new place and knowing pretty much no one to make you remember a little more about yourself and make you grow outside of the comfort zone. I even made bacon for the first time the other day!

It has made me appreciate where I live more. I can't tell you how much I complain about the weather, haha. There have only been 42(!!!!!!!) days of 100+ degree heat in a row. You can be jealous. I even had a sweating competition for the first time. Who is sweating more?! You or Me?! I think it's a great new hobby/event.

I have developed a little bit a soft-spot for the people here. They proved to be rather friendly and inspired a certain friendliness in return. They definitely are ready to help with directions and smiles. Not to mention everytime I went grocery shopping alone they had this face of concern and always would wish me extra luck. It was somehow refreshing, and somewhat concerning, do I look like I can't make it to my car?

One of my self let-downs has been the lack of focus on my own health. Not that I didn't, I tried plenty of new workout classes and played intern-mural sports all the time (My team won 3rd!!! Epic). But sitting 8 hours a day drives me crazy and I don't think being here has been good for my health over-all. More focus in the future!

I didn't get a chance to try a specific new hobby per say. I did some boxing which was pretty cool, and definitely some more cooking than usual, but I will have to try to expand my horizons a little more when I get back.

I had a great introduction to the Corporate World. I have never had so many dressing adventures. Dang, I suck at heels. But I sure feel extra cool wearing them!
The job really helped me explore the city more and met some great and supportive people. Thanks CHK!

I'm excited to go back. I miss familiar people, especially my family! That was certainly the hardest part about being away. I am a home-body and hope to always continue to be that way. I always forget how close I am to my family compared to other people. But it was nice to be able to relate to their business lives a little more :) I'm hope to visit them during the fall semester while the weather is still nice. Especially since my sister just got a puppy!!!

Something about friends who already know you and you don't have to be constantly explaning/introducing yourself to would be nice. 2.5 months is too little time to get to really know what a person is about, and while I met some great people that I would like plenty of more time getting to know, it will be inexplicably nice to be back with people who already get me and laugh with me!

OKC has been a great study abroad! It's a little city that deserves a little more respect. It apparently is the most recession proof city in America! and recently the 2nd hottest... But there is a cultural pride here that certainly needs more investigating... and maybe I'll be up for that task again. Someday.

No comments: