Sunday, July 17, 2011

Well I never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma.

Well I never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma (this is a song lyric from Three Dog Night), which today definitely looked quite similar in my mind.

I was driving back from Dallas this afternoon and realized there are so many things I want to see in south Oklahoma, and that I happened to be driving through southern Oklahoma!

This doubled my drive time home but ended up being SO worth it.

I knew Oklahoma had hidden gems, I just knew it!

YATZEE!

 The river flows along like a waterfall, where people camp, swim, and listen to music all day.

 This is the main waterfall and giant swimming hole


The picture above is my very favorite! The elderly couple chatting in the river :)


Here are the Lake Murray Pictures:

 This one says: Happy is what we make it -- always has been - always will be

 A sail boat in the surprisingly blue-green water
 A flamingo overlooking the large collection of pool play things.


 
The lake between the lovely shady trees, it was significantly hotter at the lake than at turner falls (which was about 45 minutes north)



 I simply fell in love with Turner Falls today. I intended to drive by and check it out. I almost left when I had to pay a fee to get inside, but I'm so happy I paid and went hiking. I spend nearly 1 1/2 hours exploring this place today. It was just me, and I was so overwhelmed by how gorgeous it was I didn't care in the least. I did fall into the river... which if you cant tell by the pictures really isn't all that deep but I did get some pretty funny looks from other Turner Falls patrons. Oh well, also worth it. I would love to come back and swim around all day. This was like seeing a childhood dream in reality for some reason. It was several miles of shallow(ish in some places it was deep) accessible water to swim in and cool off. There were little fish too! It wasn't even too too hot out. I cannot express how beautiful this place is! I wish I could get a chance to go back, but with only 13 days left in OK I don't think it'll happen. Either way I'm a happy camper.


I also saw the less exciting Lake Murray, it was a pretty funny little place. I couldn't tell if it was private or what but I felt like a weirdo taking pictures of the little attractions and sayings. All I can say is I love exploring :) and that Oklahoma gave me quite the pleasant surprise today.

1 comment:

COmeetsNE said...

I wish I could have been there! I looks awesome :)